Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Resolutions

I've never really been big on making New Years resolutions. However, I am in favor of living life to the fullest no matter what time of year it is, so here are some things that inspire me. First a quote from Christian D. Larson:

promise yourself.
to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
to talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
to make all your friends feel that there is something wonderful in them.
to look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
to think only of the best, to work only for the best, & to expect only the best.
to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
to forget the mistakes of the past & press on to the greater achievements of the future.
to wear a cheerful countenance at all times & give every living creature you meet a smile.
to give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
live in the faith that the whole world is on your side so long as your are true to the best in you! 

Second, check out this article called 30 Things to Stop Doing. Here are some of my favorites from the list:
#4. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner.
It's true - you can't help other people if you are a mess yourself!
#10 Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness.
If your happiness is dependent upon others, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. (BTW, the book they suggest Stumbling on Happiness is definitely worth reading!)
25. Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn't.
This is a big one for me - I've always been good at putting on a happy face and now I'm learning how to feel safe while expressing my feelings. It's a work in progress...

Third is another article - this one summarizes the Top 5 Regrets of the Dying 
#1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. 
Living in Bali for a month was definitely unexpected, and amazing in every possible way! While I missed everyone at home, I felt like I was right where I was supposed to be. I'm not sure what lies ahead for me, but I know it will involve more traveling.
#3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
Ah man, it's on this list too??? Okay universe, I hear ya!

Finally, if you are looking for a great book, check out The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin. It's a narrative about her adventures during the twelve months she spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific research, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier. I swear it's not a self-help type book; it really is good!

Okay I lied...one more thing...but this one is a video, yay! Take a break from reading all my ramblings and spend 8 minutes watching this video letting go. I know 8 minutes may sound like a long time, but don't let "not having time" be an excuse...remember we're practicing making our needs a priority :)

Here are some photos from New Years:

No comments:

Post a Comment