Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Love is all around

Whew - this has been a rough week! There was an avalanche at Stevens Pass on Sunday that took the lives of three people - including a close friend of mine. Then the next day I found out another friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and is having a masectomy in two weeks. It's always hard to watch horrible things happen to wonderful people. Normally I am an optimistic person and try to look for something positive in tough situations, but this time I just couldn't do it. That made me feel even worse because it seems very un-yoga-like, ha ha! As an instructor, shouldn't I be able to handle this with wisdome and grace rather than bawling my eyes out and cursing?

The thing that is carrying me through the week is the incredible love I feel from the community. I was talking to a friend today and she said "Facebook has changed the way we grieve." That sounds really strange but it's true. As soon as the news broke about the avalanche, people started posting pictures and telling stories in rememberance of the three victims. I was instantly connected to all these people I had never met before by sharing this moment together. A page was also started for my friend with cancer where people are posting inspriational quotes, pictures, and favorite memories to make her smile. It's amazing how people from all across the country, and even internationally, are coming together to show support and caring for one another. I've been blown away by all the kindness and love that surrounds me, so that is the theme for my class today: love is all around.



No comments:

Post a Comment