Tuesday, September 13, 2011

another one bites the dust

Well I added wheat and soy to my list of things I don't eat anymore. Turns out I'm allergic - who knew? It's been two weeks now since I cut them out and I'm feeling great! Luckily Seattle has tons of good gluten free options so it's easy to do here. My body is loving me - after a month of no sugar or alcohol and two weeks of no wheat or soy, I've lost 7 pounds! I have just over a week before I go to yoga teacher training so I'm excited that I'll be feeling my best when I get there.

I also found out I was deficient in vitamin B12 which wasn't surprising since a lot of vegans have low B12. What I discovered though is that B12 supplements can be made from two different sources: methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin. From the research I did online (which of course is always reliable), I found that apparently the cyano- version has a small amount of cyanide. huh??? Um, none for me thanks. I'll take the methyl- version which is more bio-available for your body to use. My naturopath also mentioned that the B12 pills aren't digested well so she recommends taking drops instead. So there you go...more info than you probably need or want, but now you have it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment