Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Philly

I wrapped up another trip to Philly. It was just a quick work trip - I wish I had more time to visit my family that lives nearby but unfortunately I didn't have any extra days to spare. Next time!

On Monday I was a panelist on two sessions of a compliance conference. They both went pretty well considering they were the last two sessions of a long day. I only saw one person sleeping...and in my defense she fell asleep during the person before me so I don't think it counts. LOL!

After the obligatory networking, I escaped to an evening yoga class at Philly Power Yoga. It was a cute little studio - there were maybe 25 people there. One guy was grunting like a tennis player, pretty hilarious. It was hard to keep a straight face, but I actually thought it was great that he could let go of inhibitions or caring what others thought and he just let it all out there. I think most of us, myself included, could stand to cut loose like that.

Other than that, I wandered around the historic downtown area. I'm going to nerd out and admit that it's pretty cool to walk the streets that John Adams, George Washington and other presidents used to stroll. In school if we had focused more on learning about the lives of historical figures instead of memorizing dates I would have appreciated (and remembered) it a lot more. Oh well, it's fun now :)

Here is the Liberty Bell - taken through the window because the building was closed. The same thing happened last year when my brother and I were here. At least this year I didn't get chased away by the security guard...I still claim innocence - not my fault that the gate happened to be open.



This was a cool sculpture that had words cut out in metal and then the light reflected the words onto the sidewalk and surrounding buildings.



Old paddle boat down at Penn's Landing. You can see Campbell's Stadium across the river - last year Carey (my brother) and I saw a Phillies game there.



I squeezed in a little bit of shopping before my flight home. This looks like a church but it's actually the inside of Macy's. They had someone there playing live organ music - a step up from the Nordstrom pianist I suppose. Macy's also had a 10% visitor discount for anyone traveling from out of state - random, but nice surprise.




Now it's time to get ready for Bali...I'll post about my travel plans next...

No comments:

Post a Comment