Friday, October 21, 2011

Fire Dance

I finally got to go see the Balinese dancing! I've been wanting to go for the past couple weeks and plans kept falling through with other people, so Wednesday night I decided to just go by myself. I'm glad I did - it was fantastic!



It's called Kecak Fire & Trance Dance and it told an ancient Hindu story. They didn't use any instruments - instead there were around 50 guys of all ages singing/chanting in rhythmic patterns. They were amazing! I also loved all the costumes and makeup of the dancers.



During the second part of the show, they lit a pile of coconut shells on fire. Then a guy came out in a horse costume and started kicking the fire with his bare feet. Crazy! Sparks were flying everywhere - luckily they put up a short metal wall (about a foot tall) to keep the audience from getting burned.





No comments:

Post a Comment